Hawaiian Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
Car and truck drivers sometimes do not pay attention to motorcyclists on the road. This can result in serious accidents. In a motorcycle accident, the motorcyclist is at much higher risk than the motor vehicle driver, given their lack of protection. If a motorist cut you off, violated your right-of-way or was just plain reckless and caused you to crash, our Hawaii motorcycle accident lawyers will help you obtain compensation for your injuries. Our dedicated lawyers have extensive experience handling claims such as these.
After a motorcycle, motorbike, or motor scooter accident, you need to take several actions as soon as possible. For minor accidents, anlawyer is generally not needed. If you have sustained injuries, then you will, of course, want to obtain competent legal representation. The following steps ought to be taken regardless of the scope of the accident, but become especially important in the case of an injury-related accident:
- Note the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of any and all potential witnesses to the accident. This is important, as the police have recently stopped creating detailed police reports for some accidents in Hawaii.
- Inform the police of the motorcycle accident if any injuries are involved.
- Identify the driver and owner of the other vehicle.
- Exchange contact information with the driver and/or owner – including names, addresses, phone numbers, insurance company information and driver’s license numbers.
- Take note of a detailed description of each vehicle involved, including the model, make, year, color, and damage sustained. Take photos if possible.
- Note the exact location of the collision and the way in which it occurred – again, photos can be of immense help. If photos cannot be taken, draw a diagram of the scene.
- Get medical attention right away, whether or not you feel you have been injured. Some injuries can take months or years to manifest, and if you never received medical attention, it will be impossible to recover damages.
- Report the accident to your insurer, but don’t discuss any intimate details until you have spoken with anlawyer first. The insurance company may try to get you to admit to things that can be used against you, in attempts to give you a smaller settlement.
Under Hawaii law, all motorcycle and motor scooter drivers must purchase liability insurance for their vehicles. The operator of the motorcycle must carry an I.D. card at all times.
The motorcycle liability policy is required to include a $25,000 personal injury liability, along with a $10,000 property damage liability.
The insurance company is also required to offer optional coverages such as an income disability plan and higher liability coverages.
To purchase such a policy, one must first have a valid motorcycle license, which differs in class from the traditional automobile license.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle or motor scooter accident in Hawaii, contact one of our motorcycle accident lawyer lawyers right away to get the representation you need and deserve.